Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Quick and Easy Holiday Appetizers

I love the holidays. The chill in the air, the sparkle of the snow covering the trees, the Christmas lights and the warm feeling all around. It's the one time of the year when we focus, not on ourselves, but on Christ and his love and sacrifice. We find ourselves drawn to helping others, thinking of our fellow man and spending more time with our families. My favorite part of the Holidays is the time I spend with my family. The dinners we share, the fun we have in the kitchen cooking up great meals and the "down time" spent playing cards or watching "A Christmas Carol". I am one however that loves the down time. I love snuggling up on the couch with my husband and all of our children, cups of hot cocoa and a big bowl of popcorn, watching the fire dance and reading one of our families favorite books.

That being said, I don't want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. A few pies, stuff the turkey and I am just about done. I want to get to that snuggling, or snuzzling as Baby calls it. So anything beyond that needs to be quick and simple. Things that I can outsource to the littlest of children. So over the years I have found great appetizers recipes that are both quick and easy as well as scrumptious! Here are some of my favorites:

Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts

1 Pkg. Bacon cut in to thirds
1 Can. Sliced Water Chestnuts

BBQ Sauce:
3/4 c. ketchup
1/2 c. sugar
1/3 c. brown sugar


Toothpicks

Wrap each water chestnut slice with 1/3 slice of bacon. Push a toothpick all the way through to secure the bacon to the chestnut. Lay on a greased cookie sheet and bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Mix BBQ sauce ingredients in a sauce pan and heat until sugars are dissolved. Remove bacon wrapped water chestnuts from oven the and drain off the grease. Dip each in the BBQ sauce and lay them back on the cookie sheet. Return them to the oven for 20 minutes. Serve Warm.

Another favorite is Mexican Seven Layer Bean Dip:
1 can refried beans
1 can Fritos Bean Dip
1 container Guacamole dip
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 pkg taco seasoning
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack Cheese
1 can sliced black olives
1 cup diced tomatoes
1/2 chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green onion

Mix beans and spread in the bottom of a 13x9" baking dish. Cover with a layer of guacamole dip. Mix the Mayonnaise, sour cream and taco seasoning and cover the guacamole layer. Mix cheeses and sprinkle to completely cover the sour cream. Top with olives, tomatoes and onions.

For more great appetizer recipes and all your holiday cooking needs, take a minute and visit My Recipes.com. They have a huge database of holiday recipes to make any party absolutely fabulous!

No comments: