Monday, February 18, 2008

I Don't Want To Get Old

Though I'm not saying I want to stop getting older at this particular moment! Usually when i think of retirement plans, medicare, things like that, i think of my parents, not me! But as pointed out whenever you get a job, these are things to set up now, no matter how young or old you are.

I saw this site for a medicare supplement (why do they always show people in swimming pools?) and it reminded me of my dad's hinting about how much trouble he's having in daily life, my mom's denying its reality...my dad wants to move into a retirement home. I'm not sure if it's mainly for his sake or if he's thinking of my mom. It's easy for me to believe he's afraid she will be left alone and needing help if he becomes incapacitated or dies. Of course, it was only a few months ago that he was hauling cement blocks and building a patio! But really, he realizes he's not up to that anymore, it hurt him a lot, he has trouble working in the heat now. I need to take his example to heart and be prepared so i don't leave family in a situation where they wish they could help me but can't afford it, i need to start preparing for old age now. Besides, with some kind of insurance, it would be great to know that even my death could help my children. I would make sure they see it as NOT benefiting from my death but receiving one last gift from the mom who always taught them they are the best things that ever happened to the world.

No comments: