Wednesday, April 23, 2008

ANTS!

This morning when I opened my front door, I was disgusted to see so many ants that the sidewalk looks black! At least these aren't the fire ants of the south. It's been getting worse and worse; so far I've sprayed with 409 which worked great on the fire ants coming in when we were in SC. But it didn't work on these for some odd reason or else there are just so many that the next zillion came. Then I tried ammonia, twice I tried it but there seems to have been no results whatsoever. My friend just called and told me to try pouring a line of salt across the door ledge. She said it's a pain and gets tracked in but the ants won't cross it. It doesn't kill them but keeps them out of the house. A couple of intrepid explorer ants have crawled into the salt but that's all so far, we'll see. Time for ant killer! Any tried and true suggestions?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A pet anteater, perhaps? I've been considering getting a goat to keep my grass trimmed.

Erica said...

I don't have suggestions, unfortunately, but I just wanted to say good luck. Ants are awful (actually, any type of infestation is awful).

Anonymous said...

Actually I have 2 that work. The first is get a spray bottle and fill it with vinegar. Spray every where you see ants. Works indoors and outdoors. I also spray around moulding, door frames, and windows. I even go as far as once a week mopping the kitchen floor with vinegar. For outdoors I boil water in a pot and squeeze in some dishwashing liquid. Then I pour it on the ants and anthills. Works pretty good and safe around pets and kids.

Anonymous said...

Pet anteater, I like that! As for goats, we had two baby goats for exactly that purpose but they were still bottle babies and not eating grass yet before we moved.

Vinegar, I have plenty, so far I didn't have to try it because it decided to snow. But first time I see them again, I'll be out there, armed and dangerous! I'm glad it's safe because my grandbabies are often here and the neighbors have a dog that wanders. Thanks all.