Friday, April 11, 2008

Money Tans

Have you ever noticed how white people like to be tanned? And think of how tans are described: skin the color of copper, bronze god, golden goddess...are we obsessed with $$?

As a teenager, I was annoyed that many of my friends wanted to spend the day lying in the sun. What could be more boring?! One summer I tried it too. By the end of the summer, I had almost caught up to where everyone else had started! (That may have been because I only managed two hours total the whole summer..)

Maybe I don't tan because I really am not that ambitious; I want enough money to be okay, but money just isn't incredibly important to me. Neither is the copper, bronze, or golden tan. Is there a connection?

I remember walking home with a friend once, we were wearing skirts. My hose had run so I had taken them off before leaving. It was already dark outside, we walked across an unlit school playground. Suddenly my friend started cracking up - she was laughing too hard to talk or even walk. When she finally caught her breath enough to tell me what the deal was, she said, "You're GLOWING! You glow in the dark!" Believe it or not, this is a true story. Does this mean I'm forever doomed to be poor?

No comments: