Sunday, March 16, 2008

Where Do I Put My Other Computer?

When we first moved in here a few months ago, I had an 8-foot long white heavy duty fold-up table. My parents had it in their house for a while with two or three computers on it (theirs, ours, and my nieces'); the children played there, worked there, it was great. My mother wasn't thrilled about the looks of it but it fit perfectly along the dining room wall under the window, it was also out of sight of visitors coming in the front door.
Eventually I got the table, then by a fluke brought it with me (it was the perfect size to act as a support for my household goods when packed in a moving pod), and set it up right in my living room. Here we had my two computers, various game components and consoles, printers, wires, books, papers, baby toys started accumulating...are you getting the picture?
The table is now in my son's storage and the computers, etc. are on shelves and entertainment centers I finally got out of MY storage after about 5 or 6 years. The problem with this is my computer is tucked into a little sideways slot on a huge display shelf setup, I can't even describe it. It actually works pretty well, my rocking chair is my computer chair! :-)

However. My OTHER computer has nowhere to go. It's not that big of a loss I guess because it shuts off after 30 minutes max due to overheating. But sometimes I still want to play (work?) online while D needs the computer for schoolwork. I've considered a laptop but am not quite sure if I can connect it upstairs in my room. If it has to stay downstairs, I may as well try to fix my other one. But I just found a site about laptop rental . I had never considered that. Forget buying one and finding out I can't use it after spending lots of money on it. This is a possibility. I can even try different brands and styles to find out what I really like first. This is sounding better and better, when you spend a lot of time on the computer, the setup needs to fit you well!

3 comments:

Rene Perez said...

I've had my laptop a little over a week and love it. My kids can be on the computer at the same time that I am. I use a wireless router for my dsl. I can even take my laptop outside to write. Yesterday we parked on the other street behind our property and I connected to our wireless connection just to see if I could. If you have dsl, get a wireless router and you can haul that laptop everywhere!

Unknown said...

Hi, found you on Entrecard. Nice blog.

You should list your blog free on mom blog directory at Hip Mama's Place. Thanks and have a wonderful day! :)
Jocelyn @ www.hipmamasplace.com

Savvy Mom said...

Jocelyn, Thank you, that's so sweet. I will definitely be there to look. The site is familiar, I've been there and I'll be back.

C.R. Morris, thank you! I'm glad it's working out for you. I'm probably going to try one of those laptops rentals to see what kind I like (well, that's pretending I have money to do that but I'm at least planning to imagine it).