Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Computer Virus Warning

I do not know where I got it from, and I wish I did so I could warn everyone to be super careful, but I got a devastating computer virus the other day. It shut down my whole system and I could not even load anything. It was awful. I called my support desk and they had me run through a series of different anti-spyware and antivirus programs. When he asked me what I was running, I told him I had Norton's Symantec Anti Virus Program. He kind of snickered and explained that Norton and McAfee are the "lumbering giants" of the computer world. They are clumsy and slow and seldom work anyway. So he had me download some other anti virus software from the Internet and we tried those. When nothing worked he escalated me to a Code 3, meaning that I could not sign into work until someone else called me back and we got my computer running. Well finding myself without my shifts and a lot of extra time on my hands, I loaded my Norton Symantec and started it running. When it was bedtime it was still running and so I let it go. When I woke up it had found 2 malicious files. I deleted them and lo and behold, my computer suddenly worked great!

My two warnings: First: Do not get a computer virus. Second: If you do happen to get a virus, DO NOT let anyone tell you not to use your Norton anti virus program. I could have save myself hours and pay had I just followed my instincts. Don't make the same mistake I did!

No comments: