Saturday, August 18, 2007

Cub Scouting

I am a huge supporter of the Cub Scouting and Scouting programs and I have been ever since I was called to be a den leader, just after my son turned 8 years old. For those of you who have not yet been involved in the scouting program let me give you a little history on it.

*Scouting began in England in 1907-08, created by General Robert Baden-Powell. Baden-Powell, a 50-year old bachelor at the time, was one of the few heroes to come out of Britain's Boer War. He was known primarily for his unusual ideas about military scouting, explained in his book Aids to Scouting. Startled to discover that many boys were using his military book as a guide to outdoor activities, he began to think how he could convert his concepts of army scouting for men to "peace scouting" for boys. Gathering ideas from many sources (including Ernest Thompson Seton, who had founded a boys organization in the US), he tested his program on a group of boys on Brownsea Island in 1907. The island camp was successful, so B-P rewrote his military book, calling it Scouting for Boys. The climate was right for a youth program like Scouting, and it spread quickly around the British commonwealth, then to other countries.

The Boy Scouts of America has quickly become a wonderful establishment to help young boys grow from youth to men, following paths of moral and ethical standards.

The mission of the Boy Scouts of America is to prepare young people to make ethical and moral choices over their lifetimes by instilling in them the values of the Scout Oath and Law.

Scout Oath
Scout Law
On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

A Scout is:
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind

Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

I have seen little else in this world, aside from religion, that can have such a profound and deep rooted effect on any young boy in helping him to grow into a self-sufficient, productive and chivalrous man.

If you ever have the privilege of working within the scouting program, please, take this calling very seriously and have fun with it. There is no better calling as far as I am concerned.
*Taken from Troop 97

No comments: